July 11, 2012 by Cassy
Did you get your free Slurpee today? It’s 7/11 so stop by your nearest 7-11 and get that free Slurpee (unless they stop doing it)! July also means 100 degree weather, so there are lots of people out there getting sunburned. I, personally, detest the sun. I avoid activities and events that are outside from the hours of 11am-4pm. However, I went to a convention last week and got a little burnt. You can tell because there’s an obvious tan line in the middle of my arm. The best solution, in my opinion, for sunburn relief involves olive oil. The polyphenolic components of olive oil have been compared to traditional antioxidants, such as tocopherols, used by the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry to prevent skin damage. I recently found that Alivea products contain beeswax, olive oil, and water. So I figured why not make my own.
- Heat 1/2 to 1 cup of olive oil in the microwave in 15 second increments, making sure it’s warm (not hot). You can use the stove, but I’m lazy and all my pots are for cooking food.
- Add 1 oz (2 tsp) of beeswax and stir to melt it. I recommend breaking the beeswax into smaller pieces so it’ll melt faster.
- Add 1 oz of honey if you want.
- Add 10-20 drops of oils if you want. More if you don’t want to shower for the next couple of days. No, seriously, we should shower everyday in this hot weather.
- Let it cool. You stay cool, too.